Like most people, I am a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies. Better yet, a fan of almost all types of cookies in general! There are so many possibilities when it comes to cookies and I really love trying all sorts! However, at the end of the day, I seem to always crave chocolate chip. This recipe is different than my other more classic chocolate chip cookie which you can find here. This version is something you will love to use an reuse when you want something slightly different than the classic chocolate chip cookie.
What’s the difference? I use a different type of flour and coconut sugar instead of regular sugar. What I noticed about baking cookies with coconut sugar is the fact that I can eat more cookies with coconut sugar than with regular! With regular sugar, after a few cookies I will feel like I ate too much. I don’t feel that way when I eat dessert with coconut sugar.
Why Spelt flour? Spelt flour is known to be a little higher in protein and certain vitamins such as B1, B3, B6, Vitamin E, magnesium, iron, manganese, calcium, zinc, selenium, and phosphorus. According to webmd, it is also known to reduce blood sugar spikes, reduce inflammation, and help with the good bacteria that lives in your gut microbiome.
So as a healthier alternative to the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, I have created this recipe to give you options. They pair really well with tea or coffee and my little babe loves it too.
What I also love about my recipe is that you do not need to chill it, so you save some time with that. (Who doesn’t need extra time nowadays?!) I would love to hear your experiences with spelt flour and please do comment below if you make this recipe. I hope you enjoy it, let’s start baking!
|Prep Time: 15 minutes||Bake Time: 15-19 minutes|
|Serves: Approximately 18 medium size cookies||Total Time: 35 Minutes|
1 cup butter (softened at room temperature)
1 cup coconut sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups organic spelt flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chip cookies (plus a little more for placing on top)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2.Using a mixer, beat the butter until it look pale and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
3. Add the coconut sugar and vanilla extract and beat again for about 2 additional minutes.
4. Add egg and beat again for about 30 seconds. Add egg yolk and beat again for an additional 30 seconds. (Set mixer aside, you will use it one more time)
5. Add salt, baking soda, and 1 cup of flour and stir with a spatula until white flour is no longer visible. Add 1 more cup of the flour and stir again. Add the last cup of flour and stir again.
6. Turn mixer on low and mix for about 20 seconds and turn off.
7. Add chocolate chips and stir until well combined.
8. Line a large sheet pan with unbleached parchment paper and scoop out medium sized dough onto the pan. (I like using this cookie scoop) Flatten gently with hand and add more chocolate chips if desired.
9. Bake for about 15-19 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown.
If you end up liking and purchasing any of the products through my links. I may receive some compensation.
Sharing all of my favorites with you is a joy, and you would be helping me keep the site alive and going.