One of my all time favorite ways to eat eggs is with tomatoes. If you’ve never tried it before, you might think it’s an odd combination, but you won’t know what you’re seriously missing out on until you try it! Something tells me if you try my recipe, you will be convinced. Mediterranean eggs with tomato was a staple breakfast my parents would make for us. We grew up enjoying this dish as a family, and no one could say no to it when the aroma would fill the air promising to take your taste buds over the moon. True love was happening in the kitchen, and this meal was the best way to experience it.
I have seen lots of cultures make similar dishes and I think that is beautiful! In fact, there are soo many common meals that countries who border one another make, and each add their own unique flare. How amazing is that?! The closest dish I have seen to the one I will be sharing is shakshuka, but it is a bit different from shakshuka. Of course I was inspired by my parents for this specific dish, they told me how they made it and I took that and put it into measurements that I love and make over and over again! One important advice to share is that you want to take your time cooking the tomatoes, and that takes the most amount of cooking. However, it is very low maintenance and you only need to stir in occasionally and cook on medium low. Yes, it takes a little long to cook, but trust me when I tell you it is worth it!
This dish will forever be a happy childhood memory, and an all-time favorite, and I would love to hear what you think if you also try it, so please let me know in the comments.
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 40 minutes|
|Serves: 3||Total time: 45 minutes|
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 large tomatoes
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt (or more if desired)
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
A few pieces of fresh basil for garnish
1. Roughly chop tomatoes and half of the bell pepper into thick chunks and set aside.
2. In a large pan on medium heat, add olive oil, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
3. Cook covered on medium heat for about 20 minutes, the tomatoes should start looking wilted and watery. (Stir the tomatoes after about every 5 minutes, then cover the lid again.)
4. Add pepper, and paprika and stir, then cover again and cook for another 10 minutes while lowering the heat to medium low.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the salt. Add this to the tomato mixture.
6. Cover and cook on medium low heat for about 4 minutes. (Do not stir during this time)
7. After about 4 minutes, add chopped parsley and gently stir the eggs from the edges to the center. Cook for another 6 minutes, or until eggs look fully cooked.
8. Garnish with fresh basil is desired, serve warm.
Do not over stir the eggs as they will get very mushy, there should be some big chunks of scrambled eggs and the rest will be small.
If you end up liking and purchasing any of the products through my links. I may receive some compensation.
Sharing all of my favorites with you is a joy, and you would be helping me keep the site alive and going.
2 thoughts on “Mediterranean Eggs with Tomatoes”
Nothing goes better with eggs than tomatoes! So yummy, love this recipe. This will be my go-to each time I make it.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yay! I love making this in the morning and letting that delicious aroma of the tomatoes linger all throughout my kitchen. 🙂