Hot summer days call for a delicious, healthy, and light salad packed with protein goodness from the chicken. When the heat waves roll around, I find myself craving more salads like this healthy chicken salad. It has so many flavors and textures that you will dreaming about even after it’s all gone from your plate (and trust me, you will clean that plate). The best part was, it kept me and my family full for hours and hours. Once you have all the ingredients, it is so easy to whip up. This recipe serves two and you will have leftover dressing which you can use on any salad for the next couple of days. You can make it in one large bowl , or divide the ingredients evenly onto two bowls. I love using this salad tosser anytime I make a salad. It is my absolute favorite!
I also think it’s a great lunch or dinner recipe if you have company over and want to impress your family or friends. Feel free to double the recipe. You will need to cook the chicken and sweet potatoes separately and the remainder of your ingredients are raw. Also, feel free to make the dressing ahead of time (up to a day in advance). I hope you devour this salad the way I did! I look forward to the next time I make this chicken salad.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes||Cook Time: 30 minutes|
|Serves: 2||Total Time: 50 minutes|
For Chicken Marinade
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
For the Salad
2 medium chicken breasts
1 medium sweet potato
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for pan frying sweet potatoes)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (to add to sweet potatoes)
1/2 red onion
4 cups baby spinach and arugula mix (thoroughly rinsed)
1/4 cup feta cheese (or gorgonzola)
1/4 cup walnuts (roughly chopped)
2 tbsp dried sour cherries (or dried cranberries)
For the Dressing
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp fig jam
pinch of salt (about 1/4 tsp)
pinch of black pepper (about 1/4 tsp)
|1. Marinate chicken in a ziplog or stasher bag by adding the chicken and all of the ingredients for the marinade. Shake the bag to distribute marinade evenly. Then place the it in the refrigerator while you make the dressing.|
2. Add all the ingredients for the dressing in a small container or a mason jar (like this one) stir or shake until well combined. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
3. Peel and thinly slice sweet potatoes and pan fry them in a large pan with extra virgin olive oil and cinnamon. (Cook them for about 10 minutes on each side, or until they are soft and tender.) Set a side when done cooking.
4. Cook the marinated chicken in a large pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until the inside of the chicken is fully cooked with no pink color on the inside. (I like to cook this and the sweet potato simultaneously in separate pans, but please go at the pace you are most comfortable with)
5. Place baby spinach and arugula into a large bowl, add sweet potatoes, sliced avocado, sliced strips of red onions, crumbled feta, and walnuts.
6. Cut chicken into thin long strips and add to the salad just before serving. Stir the dressing one more time and drizzle desired amount and enjoy!
*You can save any extra dressing for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, and use it for any salad the following day.
If you end up liking and purchasing any of the products through my links. I may receive some compensation.
Sharing all of my favorites with you is a joy, and you would be helping me keep the site alive and going.