Who doesn’t love mac and cheese?! I remember how much I’d love the boxed mac and cheese as a kid. We wouldn’t have it too often because both my parents loved making amazing Mediterranean food most days, but when we did, we really enjoyed it. I know there are lots and lots of recipes for mac and cheese with many twists and variations. Today’s recipe is a plain and simple classic version I hope you will enjoy!
I used to be a little intimidated to make this from scratch in the past, but I learned two tricks that really helped me. First, pour your liquid very slowly, and second, I don’t stop mixing while pouring the liquid. So it is helpful to have all your ingredients ready for this part to run smoothly.
Lastly, I know mac and cheese can be on the heavier side, but I always try to keep my recipes as light as possible while still preserving the natural texture and flavor. If you love a classic mac and cheese, you will definitely love my version. Hope you give this one a try!
|Prep Time: 5 minutes + time it takes to cook pasta||Cook Time: 15 minutes|
|Serves: 4-5||Total Time: 30 minutes|
1 packet of elbow macaroni or conchiglie (16 oz)
About 3-4 quarts water for pasta (*This will vary, add enough until pasta is submerged in water)
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 cup milk
1 reserved pasta water
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used mild)
1. Bring a large pot to a boil, stir in salt and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
2. Once your pasta is done, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, drain the remainder of your pasta and set aside. (I use this colander and love it)
3. In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter, then add salt, black pepper, paprika and flour and continuously stir for about 5 minutes. (Your mixture should begin to bubble)
4. Add in milk while pouring in very slowly and mixing simultaneously.
5. Slowly add pasta water while mixing.
6. Add cheese and stir until everything is melted and looks smooth.
7. Add cooked pasta and gently stir until pasta is well combined.
8. Serve warm and enjoy!
If you end up liking and purchasing any of the products through my links. I may receive some compensation.
Sharing all of my favorites with you is a joy, and you would be helping me keep the site alive and going.