Butter cookies are found in so many regions and cultures. Most people have come across, eaten, seen, or heard about them at some point in their lives. I am going to share with you an Armenian version of the Khourabia/ Armenian Butter Cookies. What I love about butter cookies (Khourabia) is the numerous variations of this cookie that seem to exist! I can say I have tried many and fell in love. This recipe requires only a few ingredients, but tastes so delicious!
My version of this cookie is simple, melts in your mouth, and will have you craving for more! Good quality ingredients is key. Your flour should be good quality flour. You also want to make sure that your butter isn’t too melted, otherwise the cookie may not hold its shape. I also want to mention that the time it takes for these cookies to be ready really varies because every pan and every oven is a little different. This one recipe in particular needs extra attention so you do not want to over bake, or under bake. (You just have to check it often after 15 minutes) My favorite way to enjoy this cookie is with some delicious afternoon tea, so delicious!
|Bake Time: 20-25 minutes||Prep time: 15 minutes|
|Serves: about 15 medium sized cookies||Total time: 40 minutes|
2 cups flour (I used this one)
1 cup almond flour (This is one of my favorite’s!)
1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
2 tsp vanilla extract (I either use homemade or this one)
4 tbsp powdered sugar + 1/2 cup for dusting
pinch of salt (about 1/8 tsp)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
2. Beat the softened butter with a mixer until the butter turns pale and creamy. (about 2 minutes)
3. Add powdered sugar and mix for another minute.
4. Add flour, almond flour, vanilla extract, and salt and beat for another 2 minutes.
5. Scoop out about a tablespoon of dough and roll into balls, place into a separate plate.
6. Continue to scoop dough and roll into balls until the dough finishes.
7. Grab your rolled dough and shape into either letter “C” or “S” or keep them round like a traditional cookie shape and gently press down to flatten them. *(See notes for shaping tips)
8. Place shaped cookie dough onto your lined cookie sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
9. Generously dust the cookies while they are still warm and enjoy!
*Baking time will vary, so keep a close eye on them after the 15 minute mark, checking the color of the edges often
*To shape into an “S” gently roll dough into a long, thin strip, then bend one edge to curl forward, and the other edge to curl the opposite direction
To shape into a “C” gently roll dough into a long, thin strip, then bend both edges to the same direction to for a “C”
If you end up liking and purchasing any of the products through my links. I may receive some compensation.
Sharing all of my favorites with you is a joy, and you would be helping me keep the site alive and going.