I absolutely love salads! If you are like me and love a good, filling, healthy salad, you’re going to fall head over heels with this salad! It is so satiating, you’ll be craving this bowl of deliciousness all the time!
It has kale in it, personally I love kale so much, but I also like my kale to be soft, so I usually like using tuscan kale (or dino kale) which is that darker version that looks different than the curly kale. If you are not used to using kale, chopping it can get tricky. If you have your own method of chopping kale use that, if not, I will share my method underneath the instructions below. Once you figure out which chopping method works best for you, it only gets easier. This meal works great for lunch or dinner, so grab your favorite bbq sauce and let’s make some bbq chicken!
|Prep Time: 10 Minutes||Cook Time: 15 Minutes|
|Serves: 2||Total Time: 25 Minutes|
1 lb chicken breast
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (my favorite is this one)
1 cup quinoa (my favorite is this one)
2 cups water
1 tsp salt (my favorite is this one)
4 cups chopped tuscan kale (or dino kale)
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp your favorite bbq sauce (I like A1)
1. Place the chicken in a gallon size ziplog bag or any container, and
add spices and the olive oil.
2. Spread it around to get the marinade all over the chicken breast.
3. Set aside in at room temperature. (about 30 minutes to an hour)
1. Thoroughly wash kale and dry it with a paper towel.
2. Put a few bunches of kale together and finely chop it to thin strips (about 1/4 inch wide) *See note below
3. Place chopped kale in a large mixing bowl. (Such as this one)
4, Add olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss together until everything is thoroughly combined, set aside.
1. Thoroughly wash quinoa in a large metal sieve (I use this one) and place in a medium saucepan with the water.
2. Bring quinoa to a boil (start with high heat until it bubbles)
3. As soon as it boils, add salt and bring temperature down to medium (stir ever 4-5 minutes)
4. Keep checking on the quinoa, and turn heat off as soon as all the water is gone from the bottom of the saucepan.
5. Set aside to cool.
Bringing it all together
1. Once your quinoa is cooked, you can focus on the marinated chicken.
2. In a large pan on medium heat, add olive oil and marinated chicken breasts.
3. Cook chicken on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side.
*To check for readiness, take out one chicken breast and slice straight down the middle,
check the color of the inside of the chicken, it should look cooked without no visible pink color.
4. Once chicken is cooked slice them into thin 1 inch strips.
5. Take out 2 serving bowls, add the kale you made earlier evenly onto each bowl.
6. Add sliced, cooked chicken on top of the kale.
7. Add cooked quinoa evenly on top of the kale.
8. Add your bbq sauce and enjoy!
*Notes for chopping kale, here is my method:
I place a few kale leaves on top of each other and start chopping from the top part of the kale (away from the stem). As soon as I notice the stems getting thicker (halfway through the center) I stop chopping, pull out just the leaves, discard the stem and continue chopping the remainder of the leaves. If you like your salad you extra crunchy, there is nothing wrong with leaving the stems on, it’s all a matter of preference.
If you end up liking and purchasing any of the products through my links. I may receive some compensation.
Sharing all of my favorites with you is a joy, and you would be helping me keep the site alive and going.